Hallo! My name is Kelly. I grew up in New Orleans, LA. I married my husband Billy in Oct 2000 in N.O. We have three children and have moved from Abita, Springs, Louisiana to Stuttgart, Germany. This is something we have dreamed about and it is our first expat experience. I hope everyone enjoys reading about our adventures because I am very excited to share.

Friday, November 28, 2014

Berlin, Germany

Actual Dates of this event: September 11 - 13

This trip was actually supposed to be my dad and I but since he got sick and was unable to visit and everything was booked and paid for it became another Kelly and Billy adventure.  We felt a little weird considering it was my dad who chose this but we couldn't waste the money that had been spent.

We trained it to Berlin, about 6 hours.  As usual it was very relaxing, we had our wine and sandwiches, essentials for our travels:). We arrived early afternoon into Berlin's main station and I must say we were AMAZED!!! This train station was built a few years ago and was a city in itself.  There was a sushi restaurant down to cookie places and everything in between.
The funny part about this station was that it was the hardest for us to maneuver.  Considering we have figured out the train systems fairly easily in every other country but couldn't figure out the trains in our own country was frustrating.  This made me a bit glad it was Billy and I and not my dad because he would have been flustered and I wouldn't have known where to go.  Luckily we finally figured out the train we needed was not in the actual station, ha!!! Weird!!!! 
Finally, we found our train and from there everything got easy.
Our hotel was ideally located right outside of a train stop and our room was great minus the fact that it was 2 separate single beds, since it was reserved for my dad and I. Oh well!!

Billy and I decided to head out and find some great drink spots along with some food.  We wound up at a hole in the wall super old bar and had the best burger we have had yet in Europe.  Great spices, bleu cheese and bacon. Yum yum!!! We have found some good burgers in Germany but not like the states, they are just different.  We found Berlin to be super Americanized , like a New York.



After dinner we wandered to Checkpoint Charlie, the American line, super neat. They have actors posing as guards and you can take your pictures with them, of course I did.




Then we stumbled on the Sony Center. Cool Cool Cool.  This huge dome filled with an IMAX , an Australian restaurants and many other neat looking restaurants. 

 We opted for these crazy drinks at the Australian place.  Then we turned in.

The next morning we were surprised to have the European and American breakfast at our hotel, super yummy.  Then we did a hop on hop off bus tour.  We were hoping for bike tours but the weather had different plans for us.  We saw everything Brandenburg Gate, the East side,  and the West side.
Brandenburg Gate
 Jewish Cemetery






That evening we had passes to tour their government complex, neat to see where the laws are made.  


That night we wanted more American food so we sought out the Hard Rock Cafe and had BBQ and vodka!! WOW!!!


The next day we did another tour since Billy bought the 2 day pass and we went to the wall.  Unbelievable and in my opinion well worth the trip.


At first I didn't care for Berlin, I felt as though I was back in America, didn't have the European flair.  By day 2 I really liked it and we are looking forward to returning with the family.  Lots more history to see, lots of underground things.

No comments:

Post a Comment